Aside from the Miss Cagayan de Oro beauty pageant, one of the much awaited events happening for the Higalaay Festival 2016 or Cagayan de Oro’s annual fiesta celebration is now on its sixth season and gaining in popularity with Kagay-anons.
The Barangay Gwapo All-Star Plus Season 6 just went full slate with its “Gabi ng Mga Gwapos – The Finale” that happened last August 23, 2016 at the Atrium of the Limketkai Center Mall. Barangay Gwapo All-Star Plus Season 6 is an annual search for the most talented, smart, and desirable young males aged 17 to 25 in Northern Mindanao.
Created and produced by ABS-CBN Northern Mindanao, the original Barangay Gwapo was limited to Cagayan de Oro, but eventually branched out all over Northern Mindanao, with regions and cities holding their own Barangay Gwapo pagaents in order to select whom to send for the annual event during the Cagayan de Oro fiesta.
This event is now considered as the city’s second highlight next to the female beauty pageant and fiesta parade. The final 10 candidates were actually officially presented last July 15, 2016 at the SM Rotunda and shown live on ABS-CBN Northern Mindanao. They are:
- Jess Rodrigo A. Chua, 17 years old – “Ang Gwapong Cool” from Barangay 29, Cagayan de Oro.
- Wilrin B. Baa, 20 years old – “Ang Maginoong Gwapo” from Barangay San Juan, Gingoog City.
- Florencio P. Frenoza, 19 years old – “Ang Gwapong Romantiko” from Barangay Sumpong, Malaybalay City.
- Jose Michael T. Aldeza, 23 years old – “Ang Gwapong Astig” from Barangay Barra, Opol.
- Richard C. Paler, 24 years old – “Ang Gwapong Palaban” from Barangay 7, Cagayan de Oro.
- Rave Anthony Q. Sanchez, 20 years old – “Ang Gwapong Lover boy” from Barangay Agusan, Cagayan de Oro.
- Dominic P. Sabornido, 20 years old – “Ang Pilyong Gwapo” from Barangay Canitoan, Cagayan de Oro.
- Eljohn T. Taguba, 18 years old – “Ang Gwapong Charming” from Barangay 17, Cagayan de Oro.
- Gerald Anthony E. Blakemore, 17 years old – “Ang Mistong Gwapo” from Barangay Bug-ong, Camiguin Island.
- John Willy G. Biwang, 18 years old – “Ang Gwapong Sporty” from Barangay Carmen, Cagayan de Oro.
Of these 10 gentlemen, several would have to emerge as winners. John Willy G. Biwang of Barangay Carmen became the latest Barangay Gwapo winner. Johnwill, as he is called, was also the first winner to come from barangay Carmen.
The first runner-up was a complete surprise to the crowd that night, though many agreed that what pushed up his chances was his handling of the question and answer portion despite lacking any clear supporters in the crowd.
This was Gerald Anthony E. Blakemore from barangay Bug-ong, Mambajao, Camiguin Island.
Dominic P. Sabornido from barangay Canitoan took in the second runner-up position, while Eljohn T. Taguba of barangay 17 took third runner-up while Jess Rodrigo A. Chua of barangay 29 landed the fourth runner-up spot.
The Event Finale
The “Gabi ng Mga Gwapos – The Finale” featured a special salute to the dance steps and dance talents of the 1980’s decade.
This was clearly shown in the opening dance and entry of the candidates who danced and strutted to several well-known 80’s dance tunes.
Some music videos from the 80’s were also shown. In fact, the finale’s hosts, all from ABS-CBN Northern Mindanao’s shows and FM radio station dressed up to impersonate known 80’s artists such as Madonna, Prince, Cindy Lauper , Boy George and Whitney Houston.
Noticeable among the crowd were the supporters of specific candidates. Most notable was the large support crowd who came all the way from Gingoog to shout out their cheers for candidate number 4.
The overall atmosphere of the show was fun, amusing, and really cheery-noisy.
Other Event Photos
In case you missed the event, here are some random shots that we took from it.