19 Sep Duterte Needs Extension, Asks for 3 to 6 Months More on Drugs and Crime Deadline
“I cannot tell you now, but we are trying our very best to put order in this country. We are wrapped with so many problems—kidnapping in the south, terrorism, drugs which is really pulling us down. I can say that we would need time to put everything in order,” said President Rodrigo Duterte in a press conference held in Davao City last September 18, 2016 where he also met the freed Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad.
Duterte asks for an extension of 3 to 6 months to solve drug problem in the Philippines for according to him, he did not realize how severe the situation is in the country until he was elected President. And that the current war on drugs was like pressing “worms out of a can” for it had already exposed so many people involved in the illegal drugs trade.
Some 700,000 drug users and pushers have already turned themselves in to the authorities since Duterte assumed office.
“No one could believe that there would be about 700,000 new guys involved in the drug business who have surrendered to the police and military,” said Duterte adding that, “The problem is, I cannot kill them all. Even if I wanted to. That was what I said. Even if I wanted to, I cannot kill them all… There is narco-politics on the lowest government unit, and that will be the start of our agony.”
“Just a give me a little extension, maybe another six months,” Duterte asked. “I didn’t have an idea that there are hundreds of thousands of people already in the drug business. What makes it worse is they are cooperated now by people in government, especially those in elected positions. So, it will be government versus government.”