Philippine Franchise Association: “Mindanao brands have the potential in the international market”

Philippine Franchise Association: “Mindanao brands have the potential in the international market”

franchise mindanao 2016 expo

Samie Lim Image Soure |

During the Franchise Mindanao 2016 Expo “Franchising Negosyo para sa Davao” held at Abreeza Mall Activity Center, Samie Lim who is the “Father of Philippine Franchising” and PFA Chairman Emeritus said in an interview that there are many Mindanao brands that have the potential of impressing the market not only in Luzon but also in the international scene. More with the implementation of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Economic Cooperation.

The said expo ran from May 20 to May 22.

franchise mindanao 2016 expo

Image Source |

Some of the highlights in the expo were the introduction of some Davao-based brands such as Marinatuna Seafoods Restaurant which is considered the home of the best seafood in Davao City, BluGre Cafe and its durian coffee, Coco Dolce which is known for its chocolates made with coconut sugar and its innovative chili chocolate, and other Davao homegrown brands. Such brands were able of getting the attention of the Philippine Franchise Association (PFA) with reasons that they’re not only innovative but they also have the potential of becoming franchise best-sellers in the international market.

franchise mindanao 2016 expo

Franklin Go Image Soure |

According to the PFA, if President Duterte is able to cut red tape in dealing with government, they’ll be expecting more international brands to come to the Philippines and in Mindanao. As said by PFA Chairman and Goldilocks Vice President Franklin L. Go, “If that happens, even international companies and brands that used to complain about red tape in the Philippines will be encouraged to come here,” referring to the application of 72-hour policy for the processing of government permits in the country as pronounced by Duterte.

“If (Mr.) Duterte can stop red tape and make things faster for business, then expect the economy to grow better and faster,” Go said. Like when Goldilocks entered the market in Mindanao several years ago, they got the assurance from Duterte that Davao was safe. Today, Goldilocks has 52 stores in Mindanao, and 17 of them are in Davao City.

If the Philippines can provide ease in doing business, it is possible that international brands will choose the Philippines pointing to its 6.5% economy growth which is faster than the other countries in Asia.

Franchise Expo has been to Cebu and recently, in Davao to look for start-ups and small entrepreneurs that are wanting to expand their businesses but don’t have the necessary capital and logistics. “If we can help these small entrepreneurs, who pay more taxes, then we can help create more jobs and pave the way for inclusive growth,” said Go.

Based on the data from PFA, around 1,500 franchised business have a combined sales of $13 billion. 68% of these are local companies while the remaining 32% are foreign firms.

No Comments

Post A Comment