07 Jan President Duterte Approves PH “Medicine Scholarship Program” Law
Mga higala! President Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law a measure that creates a “medical scholarship program” for poor students who want to become doctors!
The said law, named “Doktor Para sa Bayan Act” or Republic Act 11509, sets up a medical scholarship and a return service program and aims to stop the shortage of doctors in the Philippines.
Deserving students chosen for this program will be able to avail of the following:
- Free tuition and other school fees
- Allowance for prescribed books, supplies, and equipment
- Clothing or uniform allowance
- Allowance for dormitory or boarding house accommodation
- Transportation allowance
- Internship fees
- Medical board review fees
- Licensure fees
- Annual medical insurance
- Other education-related miscellaneous subsistence or living expenses
These students will then “eventually render services in government hospitals in their hometown or in any municipality in their home province or in any underserved municipality in any province, as part of their integration into the public health and medical service system.”
For the complete details, read: