21 Dec Storm Safety Tips
Mga higala! Here are STORM SAFETY TIPS that we should all remember during times like these. It’s better to be safe than sorry, right?
Below are the Top 10 things that we should do before and during a storm:
1. Always keep battery-powered radios in your home so that you can still listen to updates if you lose electricity.
2. Keep flashlights and candles in every accessible part of the house. This will help a lot during power failures at night.
3. Turn off circuit breakers and unplug all electrical appliances and place them in higher areas to avoid electrocution if water enters your home.
4. Place grounding rods (at least two for a house) at opposite corners of the house. This will act as a lightning-protection system and would provide a direct path for the bolt to follow into the ground and thus prevent injury or damage.
5. Don’t go out unless you really have to; however, if flooding threatens, seek high ground and try to contact rescue personnel.
6. Have a storm safety kit. This will include basic first-aid tools and medicines. You will not be able to buy this during a storm.
7. Don’t try to use gas appliance to keep you warm. Using a gas appliance the wrong way can cause deadly carbon monoxide. Bundle up in layers of clothes instead.
8. Check your house for any weak spots, reinforce windows and nail down your roof if necessary.
(Tape the inside of glass windows panes with an “X” along the full length of their diagonals. Even a light material like masking tape may give the glass the extra margin of strength it needs to resist cracking.)
9. Charge your cellphones and power banks, (place them in waterproof containers) this will help in contacting your family and rescuers if any major problems arise.
10. Always stock-up with clean water and ready-to-eat food. A human can go for more than three weeks without food but will only last a week without water.